Chickpeas are so versatile, so nutritious, so dang tasty (at least the way I cook them). A few weeks ago I soaked then cooked an entire pound of chickpeas. I made my favorite chickpea tuna salad, some soup, and then still had some left so I whipped them up into these deliciously savory chickpea burgers.
Chickpea burgers are notorious for falling apart, so be sure you use enough binding agent(s) to make your patties firm. You also want to avoid making the patties too thick because you want them to get firmer when cooking, with crispy edges and exterior. I shape mine to be no more than 1/4″ thick.
This recipe makes 4 patties for the extra-large buns we use, or 6 for the normal sized burger buns. Add your usual burger toppings and favorite side(s) for a truly delicious but still healthy vegan meal. We had ours with oven baked red potato strips.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and cut into 3 pieces
- 2 green onions, trimmed
- 2 cloves fresh garlic
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 2 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed in 2 Tbls warm water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons favorite Cajun seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (or to taste)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 3 Tablespoons chickpea flour
- Cooking oil
- Burger toppings: Sliced tomato, red onion, pickles, lettuce, relish, mustard, vegan mayonnaise, vegan cheese, etc.
- Burger buns or rolls
- Place garlic, carrot chunks, and green onions into food processor and pulse until small chunks form. Push down with spatula.
- Add in chickpeas, egg replacer, chickpea flour and spices and pulse 8-12 times until chunky paste forms. Push down as needed.
- Let mixture sit about 15 minutes, then form patties with lightly oiled hands about ¼” thick throughout for even cooking. (You should be able to get 4 extra large or 6 regular sized bun patties.)
- Place a few teaspoons of oil in non-stick skillet and heat over medium. When oil is hot place 1-2 shaped patties (made to match size of your buns) in oil. Cook until a crispy golden brown coating forms, then turn carefully and repeat on opposite side.
- Remove from pan and place on paper toweling. Keep cooked patties warm until all burgers are cooked and ready to serve.
For more great recipes check out my award winning cookbook. Log onto www.whyveganisthenewblack for more information or to order.
Category: Light Meals