Got up this morning with a hankering (don’t you love that word!?) for some fluffy biscuits. Luckily I’d made a fresh batch of cashew/almond milk yesterday and had bought some whole wheat flour last week. So I was good without having to run out to the store. If these pictures don’t make you drool, you must be dead! Whip them up and get them on the table in about 20 minutes. Doesn’t get easier than that.
- 1- ½ cups whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 cups unbleached regular flour
- 1-1/2 tablespoon aluminum-free baking powder (Rumford is the brand we buy)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tablespoons super chilled vegan butter spread (I use Earth Balance)
- 1 cup cold almond, soy or cashew milk
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees
- Combine flours, baking powder, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Cut in chilled vegan butter with pastry cutter or hands until mixture is fine crumbs
- Pour in your cold almond milk, mixing it in with a spoon as you go. If dough is too dry, add another teaspoon or so of plant milk until dough is sticky but handles easily and all flour is incorporated.
- Turn dough out on to a clean, lightly floured surface. Roll dough (or press with fingers) until it is in a ¾" thick square.
- Use small biscuit cutter (glass) to cut biscuits into rounds.
- Place on sprayed or non-stick baking sheet, and bake at 425 for about 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with jam, preserves or gravy.