Have you ever opened your eyes and had an immediate craving for a specific food? Normally I don’t, but for some reason this morning I woke up at 4:30 am and all I could think about were blueberry pancakes topped with sliced bananas.
Huh? Where did that come from?
No idea, but since I am a cookin’ fool these days, I got up a few hours later and made my dream a reality.
Talk about tasty! These things are kinda heavy (from the whole wheat flour), but still light and fluffy in the mouth from the banana and flax egg – which binds everything together nicely and adds a nice dose of Omega 3’s.
The list of ingredients is short, and the batter comes together in minutes. Took me a little longer because I’d run out of almond milk yesterday, and had to make some before I could get started with the pancakes, but otherwise you should be able to get your pancakes on the stove in less than 10 minutes.
I use a medium sized non-stick skillet and heat it over medium. When hot, I put in about 1/3 cup of batter and spread it around with the back of a spoon to evenly distribute the batter (no thick spots) until it gets about 5″ in circumference. Let it cook until bubbles form and pop in the center and all around as you see in the picture. Then flip it over and cook the second side about 2 minutes.
Serve hot with sliced fruit, maple syrup, vegan butter (if you like), or even some whipped coconut cream. Yummy stuff. Even kids love these pancakes.
FYI – I added the walnuts to only half the batter, because there are two people that are allergic to tree nuts. Take that into consideration and feel free to eliminate walnuts if you want.
Anyway, I’m so full right now I’m going to cut this short and get right to the point. Here’s the recipe…go for it.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon Himalayan pink salt
- ¾ to 1 Tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 flax egg (1 Tablespoon ground flax seeds in 3 Tablespoons of water)
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- 1 very ripe banana, mashed to small lumps
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, washed and drained
- ½ cup finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- sliced banana, blueberries, maple syrup or whipped topping
- Prepare your flax egg and set aside. It should sit for at least 5 minutes before use.
- In large mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients and mix thoroughly with wire whisk.
- In a small bowl, combine the maple syrup, melted vegan butter, vanilla, and flax egg. Dump into flour mixture and mix.
- Add mashed banana, chopped walnuts, and blueberries, stirring just until combined. You want a few banana chunks.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. When hot, measure about ⅓ cup of batter into center of pan and spread with spatula or back of spoon to distribute evenly (leave no thick spots). Finished pancake circumference should be about 5".
- Cook pancake until bubbles form and pop, and pancake edges are browned. Flip and cook second side about 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
For more great recipes, check out WHY VEGAN IS THE NEW BLACK: More than 100 Meat and Dairy Free Meal Ideas Your Whole Family Will Love.