You know, I created a recipe of calorie, high fat fettuccine Alfredo some years ago. That stuff was GUD, but the calories, the cholesterol, the fat. Oh man. But this vegan substitute hits the spot, has none of the issues of the fettuccine Alfredo made with cream and cheese, and it tastes devine.
Feel free to serve this fettucine at a dinner party for your non-vegan friends and see if they can tell the difference. This recipe is courtesy of Tofutti brand non-dairy products, with my own modifications.
- 1 package silken (soft) tofu
- 1 Tablespoon vegan margarine
- ¼ cup Tofutti Sour Supreme (vegan sour cream)
- 2 Tablespoons Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (vegan cream cheese)
- ¼ cup vegan Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup soy milk
- 1 package fettuccine pasta
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- Lightly steam broccoli florets just until tender. Do not overcook. Remove from heat and dunk immediately into cold water to protect from overcooking. Drain and set aside.
- Boil fettuccine pasta al dente, undercooking it for about two minutes according to package directions. When cooked, drain and set aside.
- While pasta is cooking, place all sauce ingredients into a blender. Blend into a creamy sauce, adding more soy milk if needed to achieve desired consistency.
- Taste, add salt to your liking.
- Heat gently until hot and sauce thickens slightly, but do not allow sauce to boil.
- Stir in pasta and steamed broccoli and mix well.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper and more vegan Parmesan if desired.